How-to: Tasting Cocoa Powder- a Sensory Analysis•
Posted on September 03 2021
Do YOU know how to properly taste cocoa powder? Can you tell the differences between cocoa percentages in chocolates without reading it on the label? If you don’t, have no fear, Luker Chocolate has given us a quick and easy step-by-step guide to help you out. The aim of the exercise is to show the differences between cocoa powder with different fat contents (12%, 16%, 22-24%) and compare them with alkaline* cocoa powder.
The following is needed for each cocoa powder sample
- 5 gr Cocoa Powder
- 5 gr Sugar (added to lower the astringency and bitterness level)
- 8.5 gr Whole Milk
- Mix the cocoa powder and the sugar
- Smell the mixture so that you can perceive different aromas.
- Add the milk and mix it all. The final texture should mimic a ganache.
- Try a small portion of each mixture, evaluate the taste and compare.